Questions on using this in a game - collisions and physics

Jun 24, 2011 at 5:37 AM

What approach would you recommend for handling collisions on this actor/bones?

What recommendations can you make regarding integrating the actor with a physics engine? 

Coordinator
Jun 24, 2011 at 2:27 PM

In my games, I use two approaches.

1) Treat the actors as a capsule style physics body, centered at the same location as the animation.

2) Build hit boxes for the animations. http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/sep/18/guide-understanding-hit-boxes-street-fighter/

Demina doesn't have any mechanisms for collisions, just the animation, so you'd need to use (or build) another tool for that.

Jun 24, 2011 at 11:18 PM

For #1, true, but then I wouldn't be able to see the arms and legs flail on a descent down a hill. :)

if we have skeletal animation then it would seem like adding a body/shape/fixture (farsee physics engine) wouldn't seem that far off.   maybe the easier thing is to "switch" between the animation and the physics rendered body (for death scenes).  

For #2, I'm not sure how this would be done.  How would you do it without knowing (relatively speaking) where the bones are located?

I could do a 'generic' sized box around the player to determine a hit, but for a more accurate hit, I think I would still need to know where the bones are ... and if I know where the bones are, I might try to do a check for collision call by looping through the bones.  

Coordinator
Jun 25, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I suppose you could tie the bones to some sort of ragdoll system. I don't think it would be very easy.

For #2, you don't need to know where the bones are. You create your hitboxes outside of demina, (perhaps by exporting still frames and then using another tool to create the boxes,) then you use those boxes to determine character interactions.

In my experience, looking for more accurate hits isn't worth the effort, unless your game really needs it. You just need it to look good to the player