Thoughts on Demina 2

Coordinator
Aug 17, 2012 at 4:34 PM

I've been neglecting this project for far too long. I have a ton of ideas, but since I'm not working with XNA much these days, it's hard to find the drive to work on it.

So, starting very soon, I plan to rewrite the Demina editor using a cross platform toolkit of some kind. (Perhaps Qt? Suggestions on that are welcome.)

In addition to what Demina can already do, here are some features I'd like include:

• Forward and (simple) inverse kinematic animation editing
  • Cross-platform user interface
  • Texture pivot editing (no more empty space centered nonsense)
  • Spritesheet input support (via Texture Packer?)
  • Plugin based output format support (xml, json, etc., plus user addons)
  • Attachment points
  • Better event trigger system (for scripting use)
  • Hitbox / Collision region editor

Also, I know several people have created modifications to allow their animations to be controlled by physics engines. What can I add to the editor to make that easy?

I'm not planning to spend much time (at least not yet) on the runtime side of things, but it seems safe to expect support for the most common frameworks and engines. (Though I might have to ask for community help on some of them.)

Now, what features would you like? This is all totally in the planning stages, so I welcome any feedback you want to send.

Aug 22, 2012 at 9:35 PM

Hi there.

I think that the XNA version is good enought for now. If you want to port the editor to other platforms, why not use MonoGame? This would reduce the time spent on the editor and focus on more important features, like the texture pivot editing, for example.

Aug 24, 2012 at 6:34 PM

You can also take a look at ExEn (http://andrewrussell.net/exen/).

Seems to be a good cross-plataform solution for XNA to be released soon.