Animations packing

Nov 30, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Ok, i got a doubt about animation packing:

When i pack an animation, its seems to work correctly since its generates an .tdic file and i can even see its reference inside the .anim file. So i thought that i wouldn't need  the original .png files anymore since the sprite-sheet was generated, but when i try to load the packed animation, its still asking about the original .png files (not the newly created sprite-sheet png).

My concern about it is because the original .png files would waste a lot of video memory, since they are larger than needed because they need to center the image on its pivot; also, even if for some reason Demina asks the original .png files but wont load it up on video memory, i would be wasting space to include not used graphic files, this would probably give my game an twice bigger size.

Can anyone light-me up about this topic ? Thanks.

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2011 at 1:36 AM

The Demina editor wants the original files, but the content importer won't need them. Just make sure that you have the source images outside of the Content folder (or better, exclude them from the build in Visual Studio), and you should be good to go.

That said, I'm not really a fan of how I handled the texture packing. In my games (which I'm building for iPhone, not XNA anymore) I'm using Texture Packer http://www.texturepacker.com/ instead. It's a slick tool, and really cheap for the full version. (Though the free version is likely powerful enough.)